The Department of Electrical and Electronics Engineering was started in the year 2008 with an intake of 60 students. The well qualified and experienced faculties of this department are committed to achieve excellence in academic programs by enabling its students to achieve blending of knowledge acquisition and applications of such knowledge in real life situations. The department has good infrastructure with well equipped laboratories and an exclusive department library. Harnessing electrical energy is the challenge for electrical engineers. The power packed department inspires the budding electrical engineers with the potent idea of constructing generating stations, transmission lines and distribution systems at economic rates and to design, test and supervise the manufacture of electrical and electronic equipments used in electrical utilities, buildings, automobiles, air-crafts, radar, navigation system and broadcast and communication systems.
The electrical and electronics engineering degree program prepares the graduates to enter a dynamic and rapidly changing field with career opportunities in electric power, power electronics, microprocessors and controllers, integrated circuits, robotics and control, computer hardware and software. The demand for electrical power and electronic systems is increasing rapidly and electrical & electronics engineers are in great demand to meet the requirements of the growing industry. Electrical and electronics engineers are mainly employed in industries using Electrical Power, Manufacturing Electrical Equipment, Electronic Systems, Accessories, Research and Development departments which work on energy saving devices and Software Development. The specialization of faculty includes different areas like power system, Applied Electronics, High voltage Engineering, VLSI, Power electronics, etc. The department is associated with professional body like ISTE & has its students association named “EEESA“. Various events like Technical symposium, Guest lecture, Industrial visits, Inplant training, etc are organized to impart technical knowledge to the students.
Laboratories in the department are:
- Engineering Practices Lab (I Sem)
- Electric Circuits Lab (II Sem)
- Electrical Machines I & II (IV & V Sem)
- Control & Instrumentation Lab (V Sem)
- Power Electronics & Drives Lab (VI Sem)
- Power System Simulation Lab (VII Sem)
The students of the deparment have visited various industries as part of their curriculum. Some of the industries are Kadaperi Tractional unit, 230 KV SS, Sriperumpudur NSIC Technical Services Centre, Guindy. The department also organized symposium “FAISCA 15“” on 04.09.2015 and it was inaugurated by Dr. P. Somasundaram, Associate Professor, Anna University, Chennai. Students also have done their internships in NSIC, Technocrat Automation Solutions Pvt. Ltd, Chennai etc.,
Association activities of the department are listed below:
- Mr. Ms. Balasubramaniam, Assistant Manager, Substation Design, ABB had introduced new office bearers on 17.08.2012.
- Mr. Ms. Balasubramaniam, Assistant Manager, Substation Design, ABB inaugurated in-house exhibition on 17.08.2012.
- Mr. D. Prakash Kumar, Dy GM, Thermal Training Institute, NCTPS has introduced new office bearers and inaugurated in-house exhibition on 02.08.2013.
- MR. C. Selva kumar, Managing Director, Labtech Electronics Pvt Ltd has introduced office bearers and inaugurated in-house exhibition on 11.07.2014.
- Mr. N. K. Subramani, Dy. GM, NSIC, Chennai has introduced office bearers and inaugurated in-house exhibition on 05.08.2015.
Bachelor of Electrical and Electronics Engineering curriculum is designed to prepare the graduates having attitude and knowledge to:
- Have successful technical and professional careers in their chosen fields such as circuit theory, Field theory, control theory and computational platforms.
- Engross in life long process of learning to keep themselves abreast of new developments in the field of Electronics and their applications in power engineering.
The graduates will have the ability to,
- Apply the Mathematical knowledge and the basics of Science and Engineering to solve the problems pertaining to Electronics and Instrumentation Engineering.
- Identify and formulate Electrical and Electronics Engineering problems from research literature and be ability to analyze the problem using first principles of Mathematics and Engineering Sciences.
- Come out with solutions for the complex problems and to design system components or process that fulfill the particular needs taking into account public health and safety and the social, cultural and environmental issues.
- Draw well-founded conclusions applying the knowledge acquired from research and research methods including design of experiments, analysis and interpretation of data and synthesis of information and to arrive at significant conclusion.
- Form, select and apply relevant techniques, resources and Engineering and IT tools for Engineering activities like electronic prototyping, modeling and control of systems and also being conscious of the limitations.
- Understand the role and responsibility of the Professional Electrical and Electronics Engineer and to assess societal, health, safety issues based on the reasoning received from the contextual knowledge.
- Be aware of the impact of professional Engineering solutions in societal and environmental contexts and exhibit the knowledge and the need for Sustainable Development.
- Apply the principles of Professional Ethics to adhere to the norms of the engineering practice and to discharge ethical responsibilities.
- Function actively and efficiently as an individual or a member/leader of different teams and multidisciplinary projects.
- Communicate efficiently the engineering facts with a wide range of engineering community and others, to understand and prepare reports and design documents; to make effective presentations and to frame and follow instructions.
- Demonstrate the acquisition of the body of engineering knowledge and insight and Management Principles and to apply them as member / leader in teams and multidisciplinary environments.
- Recognize the need for self and life-long learning, keeping pace with technological challenges in the broadest sense.
Students will have the ability to,
- Utilize logical & technical skills to design, develop and implement electrical components and systems to meet the demands of industry.
- Apply the knowledge of fundamental electrical, machines and power electronics for the controllability, reliability and sustainability of electrical systems and solve the complex problems in electrical, electronics and interdisciplinary areas.
- Contribute for the development of latest power grid technologies and integrating renewable energy on it to meet the increasing demand of the electrical power consumption.
To produce globally recognized graduates with insight knowledge in the field of Electrical and Electronics Engineering who can cater to the upcoming technologies, needs of the industry and contribute for the socio-economic development of the nation.
- To adopt modern teaching learning process and to provide a strongfoundation for the students to the changing industrial needs.
- To augment with the latest developments through workshops, guest lectures, seminars, industrial visits and paper presentations.
- To provide an ambient atmosphere wherein students learn to develop research projects, communications and leadership abilities to blossm s a professional.
- To develop skills that allow students to be adaptive and responsive to the changes in society and environment through exposure to equity, ethics and safety.