Department of Civil Engineering
Course offered: B.E in Civil Engineering (UG) | M.E in Structural Engineering (PG)
The department of civil engineering was established in the year 2011. The department offers the courses of B.E in Civil Engineering and ME in Structural Engineering. The department has well qualified and dedicated faculty members. All the laboratories for both UG and PG program are well equipped and neatly designed. Laboratories possess all the required equipments and softwares. The department offers opportunties to have real time experiences through industrial visits and internship programs. It has an exclusive association to invite and present technical papers and for discussion.
Facilities of the department are:
- Strength of Materials Lab
- Soil Mechanics Lab
- Survey Lab
- Hydraulic Engineering Lab
- Concrete and Highway lab
- Environmental Engineering Lab
- Advanced Structual Engineering Lab
The department is also provided with designing and drafting software for the students to practice AutoCAD and sfaadpro. For aptitude development, an exclusive training program on aptitude was given by a leading company called "FACE" for about 3 full days (17th - 22nd Aug 2015). The department organized an industrial visit for the students and they visited irrigation structures (manamathi) and lake on madhuranthangam. The department has oraganized a national level technical symposium named Tworcians on 5th September 2015. The department association has also inaugurated on 5th Sep 2015. Dr. M. Krishnaveni, Professor in Centre of Water Resources in CEG campus, Guindy has made special lecture. For the technical and non-technical events, a total of 30 colleges has participated from all over the State. HR convention 2015 was held on 12.09.2015. Mr. Lakshmi Narayanan, Deputy Manager - HR, Prothias precided the function and spoke on career development and advancement for civil engineering students.
B.E. CIVIL ENGINEERING REGULATIONS - 2017
CHOICE BASED CREDIT SYSTEM
PROGRAM EDUCATIONAL OBJECTIVES (PEOs):
- To prepare students for successful careers in Civil Engineering field that meets the needs of Indian and multinational companies.
- To develop the confidence and ability among students to synthesize data and technical concepts and thereby apply it in real world problems.
- To develop students to use modern techniques, skill and mathematical engineering tools for solving problems in Civil Engineering.
- To provide students with a sound foundation in mathematical, scientific and engineering fundamentals necessary to formulate, solve and analyse engineering problems and to prepare them for graduate studies.
- To promote students to work collaboratively on multi-disciplinary projects and make them engage in life-long learning process throughout their professional life.
PROGRAM OUTCOMES POs:
On successful completion of the programme,
- Graduates will demonstrate knowledge of mathematics, science and engineering.
- Graduates will demonstrate an ability to identify, formulate and solve engineering problems.
- Graduate will demonstrate an ability to design and conduct experiments, analyze and interpret data.
- Graduates will demonstrate an ability to design a system, component or process as per needs and specifications.
- Graduates will demonstrate an ability to visualize and work on laboratory and multidisciplinary tasks.
- Graduate will demonstrate skills to use modern engineering tools, software and equipment to analyze problems.
- Graduates will demonstrate knowledge of professional and ethical responsibilities.
- Graduate will be able to communicate effectively in both verbal and written form.
- Graduate will show the understanding of impact of engineering solutions on the society and also will be aware of contemporary issues.
- Graduate will develop confidence for self education and ability for life-long learning.